Friday, April 26, 2013

O Taper, O Taper, wherefore art thou Taper?

Yep, it's that awesome time of year where ever piece of my body is sore, tired, and really wants a nap.  I've napped, compressed, and been eating fairly clean for a while now but my body is still protesting.  I was joking a couple weeks ago about never knowing what fresh legs will feel like again, and I'm starting to think that is true.  One week from Sunday I will be running the Flying Pig Marathon, then two weeks later, I will be in the Little Smokies Triathlon in Portsmouth, OH.  I am feeling stronger and faster than I was last year, but I'm also a lot more tired than I was last year.  I'm guessing this is a good thing?  I don't really know.  I know that last year I was content with 2:00 100's during my swim sessions, because I was faster than Red.  But this year I'm swimming 1:35's for my 100's and I keep telling myself to get faster instead of content.  I know my body can do these races, so all I have to do is take care of it and feed it correctly.

Speaking of food, I feel like I am eating more in one day than some families of four eat in a month.  Red can confirm that I will eat a full meal in its entirety, then say that I am hungry again in 2-3 hours and eat another full size portion of food.  It really is getting out of hand.  The funniest part?  I haven't gained weight.  I actually lost a little weight before I realized that I wasn't hydrating quite enough and increased my water and calories a bit more.

Ok, well I need to get a speed workout in before it gets dark.  Two hour run tomorrow then a 4 hour bike on Sunday (weather permitting).  Yep, I have no idea where my taper went, and if this is taper then I hate to think what peak week will be like before Muncie in July or anything else leading up to Beach to Battleship.  Yeesh!


Quick update on Grandma.  She is onto her weekly chemo treatment and doing great.  She has actually become completely fed up with being tired all the time and decided to build her stamina up by doing laps inside her house.  She wants to do them outside her house, but the weather here in Ohio is just fantastic.  By fantastic I mean ridiculously bi-polar and can't decide if it wants to be 30 degrees or 90 degrees.  Yeah Ohio.  But I talked to Grandma today and she amazes me all the time.  She has decided to give herself a project each day to keep her busy.  The other day it was to clean and organize all 4 bedroom closets, and today it was to clean out and organize the cupboards in the kitchen above the sink.  I know fully functional people decades younger than my grandma who have less ambition than she does.  It's impressive how awesome she is despite having every right under the sun to complain, quit, and say screw it.  Keep the prayers coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment