Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Inspiration

According to Merriam-Webster the definition of crazy is: "mad or insane".  The definition of inspirational is: "the action or power of moving the intellect or emotions".  My Grandmother is both of these definitions wrapped into one person.  She is amazing, INSPIRING, CRAZY, loving, awesome, and so much more.  She is 83 years young and was recently diagnosed with "advanced staged" breast cancer.  I say "advanced stage" because no one has really given it a stage yet to give us any more accuracy.  Did this news rattle me?  Decidedly.  Did this news depress me?  Just a bit.  Did this news make me happy?  Ridiculous, couldn't be farther from the truth.  You know what this new did do?  It showed me how strong my Grandma is because this news hasn't phased her in the slightest.  While the rest of the family was sad, or worried, or upset, or any number of emotions far from elated, she was telling us she was fine and not to worry.  She has infuriated doctors by saying that there isn't anything wrong with her because she doesn't hurt, can keep moving just fine, and is the same person now as she was a month ago before we found out anything.  She's crazy.  Her legitimate biggest worry was not being able to go to work and keep doing what she had always been doing.  She's been through a myriad of tests to assess how well she will withstand treatment, and most of these things wear people out just from testing.  You would never know that anything was up just by talking to her.  I've talked to her a number of times since finding out the news that there's something evil attempting to take over my Grandma and today she was the happiest that I have heard in a long time.  She called to tell me "the best news!" , she went to one of her doctors today to talk about port placement and he told her that she is definitely still allowed to work.  Are you kidding me? The best news that you have received is that you're still allowed to work while going through chemo?  Yep, that's my Grandma.  She talks about how she's so proud of her grandchildren because we're all such hard workers and aren't lazy.  You could combine ALL of us, and we wouldn't be able to touch the hard work, incredible work ethic, motivation, and strength that this one woman possesses.  She's ridiculous.  If you had been able to hear her voice you would have thought that she had just won the lottery, not that she was told that she gets to keep working.  She's 83 years old, that should be reason enough to not work, let alone the fact that she is facing breast cancer and about to have a crazy fight against her own body.  When people say that my Grandma is the center of our family, they have no idea how true they are.  She had a huge hand in raising every single one of her grandchildren, and we are 100% better off for it.  She taught us how to work hard, deal with idiots, and not only told us what to do in life, but lead by a strong example.  I couldn't be more proud of my Grandma or to tell people that yes, she helped raise me.  She's badass and I dare anyone to tell me otherwise.  

So when I'm on a treadmill FOREVER because I'm training for a marathon, just because I'm tired is not a good enough excuse to stop.  When I don't want to go to work because people are retarded, my excuse doesn't hold a candle to what she's going through.  Headache?  Flu?  Just don't feel like working?  No matter what your excuse to not work may be, it is 100% completely invalid.  Don't let an 83 year old woman out work you no matter what your "excuse" or "reason" may be.  She's a badass and an inspiration for us all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment