Sunday, November 17, 2013

Mental and Emotional Energy

So it's not a secret that I seem to get my energy from the sun.  Summer is my single most favorite season, I'm ridiculously energized and happy on sunny days regardless of season, and when it's cloudy and crap-tastic it takes me a little bit more effort to be my hyper self.  Some people say that "it's all in your head" on how energized you feel, and in part this can be very true, but there is also some truth to the fact that natural light and vitamin D can directly effect your mood, which can help with your energy level.  You'll be hard pressed to find someone who is in a foul or depressed mood but wants to get a lot accomplished and is successful at finishing anything they start with any amount of quality.  The opposite works too, if you're energized and feeling great then you are most likely to finish anything you start and end up having energy left over to tackle another task.  I'm trying to teach my clients some time management, because that could definitely help, but I feel like all the time management in the world won't help them accomplish everything they think they have to do.

This is where a fun conversation between Adam and myself drops in perfectly.  We joke that I'm constantly trying to organize my client's lives and all the junk that they have to do in order for them to make it to the gym.  I was also listing my "to do" list for the day and it was epic.  We started laughing because we looked at the list and I was like "yep, today is a day that I have so much to do that all I'm going to do is take a nap".  My list was overwhelmingly long, it was cloudy and crappy outside, and people were being incredibly draining that day.  For as hyper and happy as I am, I really don't like being around a lot of people.  There are a select few people that I can be around all day every day and still be just as peachy as before.  But when I have to be a super hyper/happy midget all the time and attempt to encourage people who genuinely don't want to be in the gym all day, it gets draining.  I go in to work at 5am and typically get home between 1:30 and 3:30 depending on the day.  Most days I immediately take a nap simply because I feel exhausted.  I could probably run or lift or do whatever physically, but emotionally and mentally I'm shot.  After my nap, in the quiet of my nook, I'm quite happy.  Adam and I were also discussing the benefits of vitamin D and how living in Ohio sucks for people who are so kryptonian like myself. (My friend Phil dubbed me Kryptonian after spending a day with me at Kings Island.  It was a partly cloudy day and he started cracking up because I didn't notice that when the clouds were gone I was smiley, hyper, and happy.  Then when the clouds covered the sun I was just meh, still happy, but sat still and not as active.)  Well I started experimenting with different doses of vitamin D, something that we get from the sun, and I don't know if it really is in my head or not, but I feel worlds better when I started taking it.  I'm currently on vacation in California, and not taking the vitamin D, but I am much happier hanging out in the sun and regardless of my surroundings, I don't feel nearly as drained.  Granted, I've escaped to San Diego to be with one of my mellow friends, Danielle, and I'm pretty sure there isn't a draining thing in this apartment, area, or person, so it's incredibly nice to get away.

Speaking of getting away, I'm going to go run in my most favorite place on earth simply because I can. There's a lagoon that I love to visit every time I come here, and I think I've found a great trail to get in 6 miles for the day.  This brings me back to my previous point about how people are draining.  Yesterday morning I was in LA from Friday night until Saturday morning, and regardless of the fact that we were supposed to be running on the beach, I wanted nothing to do with running or being around anyone.  I just woke up and I was drained, which points out how not being left alone can be quite draining.

Check out my friend's page where he talks about energy management.  He wants people to figure out their highs and lows of energy so they can figure out when they would be the most productive.  I want people to figure out their source of energy, mine is the sun, or vitamin D.  What's yours?  When do you feel better?  Do workouts give you energy, or do you need to get more energy before working out?  Do people leave you feeling drained but usually happy (introverts), or does being around people boost your mood and you'd rather never spend any time alone (extroverts)?

Toodles, here's Adam's page about managing your energy once you figure out where you get your energy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment