Sunday, November 3, 2013

Shenanigans and mini vent

So this is how you know you have a good running buddy. I was driving to work on Thursday morning and heard about a half marathon that was going to be in Mason on Sunday (today).  What do I do?  I don't ignore or just go "that's neat".  No, I text my running buddy and ask her if she had heard of it.  She takes a whopping 10 minutes to look up the race, what it supports, the course, entry fees, and weather, then signs up.  Her next text is "oh!  Sounds good hold on" "Ok, I'm signed up".  I didn't even say I was doing it yet!  Well, I naturally ended up doing it because I couldn't let her do it on her own!  So mmmyeeess Ali and I signed up on Thursday for a race that was Sunday and didn't really even bat an eye.

Well race day came this morning and we trotted out freezing our butts off for the first mile.  It was about 38 degrees when we started, but we dressed appropriately so we weren't super cold.  We were both warm by mile 1.  So I had to remind super long legs here that we were supposed to be doing a training run.  Something relaxing and fun, not out to win.  Constantly having to remind her to slow her 6 foot tall frame to slow it down was actually entertaining because I always had a smart alack way to say something to her about slowing down.  Around mile 5 though I almost screamed at her because we were running a decent pace, and it didn't feel horrendous but I figured we would pay for it later.  Yeah, that pace was 7:20.  Crack-head.  I told her to slow her psycho butt down or else I was going to throw my shoe at her, tell her to pick it up, then bring it back to me.  Like I said, it was entertaining.  We also came up for a headline for the Cincinnati Enquirer during one of the water stops.  I was slowing down a touch to drink some water because the last time I tried to keep up with her I choked on the water and thought I would drown.  She laughed at me since I was slowing down and I said "wouldn't that be a sight.  "Master swim team coach drowns during half marathon.""  The lady running behind us was cracking up because we were ridiculous.  Oh, and fyi, it's really hard to laugh hysterically and run hard at the same time.  Your body really appreciates it when you breath normal when you're running.  Meanwhile, Ali ended up having to drag my untrained butt the last mile and a half because my legs were shot!  I felt like my legs were going to fall off or just completely quit very very soon.  We finished in 1:53 and some change, pretty good for an impromptu half marathon that we didn't train for.  We realized about 50 yards into the race that our longest run since August was a 9 mile run that we did 3 weeks ago.  Oops.  Oh well, it turned out just fine!

Ok, on to my mini vent.  I have a tiny pet peeve with people.  Mostly people who are supposedly desperate to lose weight, really want help, and beg for training.  If you know you're in bad shape and you know that you don't know what you're doing, why on God's green earth would you decide to quit training?!  That's akin to wanting to become Yanni and hiring all the best teachers but only wanting to practice once per week then decide that you're going to try it on your own, and oh yeah, take up ping pong and see how your piano skills come along while playing ping pong.  :/ This doesn't make any sense!  I have had people tell me to my face "I know I need to lose at least 150lbs and I know what to do and what I should eat.  I just don't want to do any cardio because I hate treadmills, and I don't want to lift heavy weights because I don't want to look bulky." For those of you who know me quite well, it is taking every single solitary ounce of strength and will to not make my famous "you're a freaking idiot" face.  I still slip up and show that face sometimes, but it's far less frequently than it really could be.  If you want to see change then you have to make changes yourself.  Having someone who is already where you want to be in front of you does not mean you changed.  If you don't know what you're doing, that's fine.  You want to learn, that's great!  You know you need someone to help you so you hire someone to teach you.  This is also a great plan because it's a way to have your own personal tutor for a language you don't understand.

Mini-rant over for now.  Ok, well I'm going to go back to my meal plan because it's Sunday, which means tomorrow is Monday (grocery day).

Happy Training

No comments:

Post a Comment