Thursday, October 23, 2014

The beauty of having more time on my hands

So, now that Ironman is over I have a lot more time on my hands.  I also have a lot more energy!  This means that when I'm left unsupervised that I get bored and decide to make things!  I made a really nice flower bed around the tree in the front yard a couple weeks ago because I felt like it, had the time, the materials, and the energy.  I was sitting in my office, looking out to the yard and realized it was a beautiful day and I needed to be outside.  So I went to the back porch where we had extra boards laying around (this really is a thing), started measuring, figuring out how much I'll need, and migrated to the basement to start cutting.

My husband has nearly every saw imaginable for wood working, I know he'll probably say "No, I don't have x, y, or z and I need all of them!".  Goober.  But anyway, I know how to use the chop saw relatively easily, so that's the saw I chose.  The problem was that Red had locked the arm part that goes up and down from going in and out.  This meant that I now had to ask Red how to use the blessed thing, and I was hoping to have the whole thing done before Red got home and surprise him.  Weeeellll...now he gets a text that says "how do I get the arm on the chop saw to move".  I pictured him immediately thinking "oh God, what the world is she doing now?"and I was right.  His response wasn't instructions, it was "why are you using the saw".  I still had my plan in place, but he was insistent on not telling me until he got home from work.  So now I had to wait.  But it was worth it because I now have an awesome flower box in my yard!

The flower box is definitely something my Grandma would have done.  My Grandma once bought 3 TONS of dirt and had it dumped in her side yard so she could move it herself one little wheelbarrow at a time into the back yard so she could make her own bigger flower beds.  I just made an octagon and migrated 400lbs of dirt into it :)  I now have bulbs of a large variety in there waiting patiently until spring.  I know that some are lilies, but some may be dahlias, gladiolus, and something else.  My Grandma's neighbor gave them to me last weekend while we were helping my mom deal with the house.

I can't wait until Spring to see how everything turns out!

All of this time also comes at a great time of year!  My family does a lot of handmade/home made gifts, and it turns out that this year Red's family is also doing handmade gifts for Christmas!  Now that I'm not training 20 hours each week, I can take that time to get my gifts made.  I have a long list of things that I want to make, and I'm hoping that I can get through all of them this year and not have to rush like crazy the day before Christmas to get them all done.  I'm going to knock a few more things off of my "to do" list!  Oh, I've also started carrying a mini notebook around with me everywhere.  Now that I have a lot more time on my hands, I've noticed that it's really easy to get side tracked and accomplish absolutely nothing for the day.  That was fine for a few days.  My body demanded it, my mind needed it, and it was just a nice change of pace.  But now it's back to being Type A and get organized!

Now it's time to figure out my training schedule for Dopey Disney Race that's in January, only 76 days left!

No comments:

Post a Comment