Monday, March 19, 2012

Only a couple of hills......

Bricks!  Yeah Bricks!  Ok, well maybe that's a little bit too much enthusiasm for getting in about 70 miles in 3 days but whatever.  That's right, I said 70 miles in 3 days.  In one way that doesn't sound that bad considering I'm training to be able to successfully complete 140.6 miles in one day but in reality that's a lot of freaking miles.  Tuesday I ended up sleeping half of the day since I worked all night the night before but I still managed to do about 30 miles of intervals on the bike with Red.  Wednesday was the unintentional brick day but it was so much fun.  Red and I ran from our house to his work at 6:15 in the morning, it's only about 7.5 miles and since it was early it didn't seem that bad.  I'm not sure how that works out in my head but I actually enjoyed the run once my mind and body got over the ungodly hour and quit trying to figure out what I was doing.  Once we got to Red's work I took the car that we had left the night before over to the gym and swam 1000 yards.  The swim felt AMAZING.  I am seriously considering adding it after a lot of my longer harder workouts.  Swimming can be intense and tire you out but at the same time it helps you relax and just enjoy the cold water on some potentially angry muscles.  The cold water helped, working different muscles helped, and the fact that I wasn't really supporting my body helped.  I felt great after my swim and my legs weren't sore at all which is a feat considering the fact that I had biked 30 miles the night before and just ran 7.5 miles that morning.  Well I wasn't done for the day. That night I joined Red and a couple of his friends from work to go on yet another bike ride.  I was informed that we would originally be aiming for about 20-30 EASY miles.  I was misinformed because apparently at some point in this ride a certain someone decided that it would be a good idea to take a different route other than the bike trail.  Ok, well a different route is always a nice change in pace so long as it doesn't resemble hills from Hell, torn up paths where you almost die, and "walls" that people called "hills".  Oh? This route has all of those things!  Well great!  Let's just sign us all up for that idea without telling anyone and continue to say "that was the last hill" until the other 4 people in this group were too tired to throttle Scuba Steve by the time we realized what was happening. 

That's right, our simple ride was quite incredibly painful.  We decided to go out to the Lebanon Extension but apparently I'm the only one that can read a sign that says "trail closed due to water main break" and know that it means the trail is closed.  We get to the bright orange barrier and someone, Red, gets the great idea to egg on someone else to get out their phone and find an alternate route to the Lebanon extension.  I'm game for the Lebanon hill because it just consists of one hill and we typically ride another couple miles past it then turn around and go back to the trail.  Well there were a couple of obstacles that none of us were honestly aware of so we decided to not go home the way that we came out.  The regular trail to Lebanon was torn up which made riding it just flat dangerous.  So we went through Lebanon to 42 to attempt to get home.  Well Scuba Steve decided that he knew a "better way" that had only a couple hills.  Well every single road had "a couple hills".  These hills were things that you got to the top of one hill and went what the crap is that thing!? Yep, that's how the last 10 miles of this easy bike ride went.  We advised Scuba Steve to ride rather quickly in front of us because we were all about to shove him off a curb.  That is the last time that Scuba Steve gets to choose the bike route for our little group.  I told him if he wants to suggest a route that it has to be mapped out, including elevation, from more than one source and pre-approved, by me, in order for it to actually happen.  He thought I was kidding and just laughed.  Hmph. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment