Friday, April 13, 2012

Yurbuds Product Review!

Ok, so most athletes have the exact same problem when it comes to training, trying to listen to music without your headphones slipping or earbuds falling out.  As most of my friends know I go through headphones like they're going out of style by either breaking them or they just don't fit the way I want them to.  My main problem used to be keeping music in my ears when I was running, which makes sense considering I'm bouncing constantly for miles on end, or when I was lifting I would turn my body different ways and whatever I was wearing would just fall out.  A couple of years ago I made an awesome discovery of some wrap around headphones made by Adidas.  Red convinced me to buy them despite their price tag because he pointed out that in the last 6 months that I've been searching I've purchased at least 3 sets of headphones and the cheapest ones were still $15.  If you figure even three pairs at $15 a piece then I've spent $45 on headphones and still wasn't satisfied so that helped me justify the $50 price on the Adidas ones.  Well two years later they still work great and are decidedly my go to headphones for marathons and any running race.  I love the fact that they wrap around the back of my head but I can just tug them down and run without music so I can talk to Red during the first part of our run and then set them in my ears within a second and have music with no hassle.  Well as amazing as these headphones have been for running they just don't work for biking.  The wrap around doesn't work with my helmet which left me looking for headphones to bike with again.

I tried Apple headphones that come with any Apple product and basically ended up tying them to my helmet next to my ears so I could listen and not have to push on them every couple of seconds.  Apparently I move my head a lot when I'm biking, who knew.  Anyway, the slightest movement had them out of my ears.  Forget lifting with them because as soon as I would do a plank or accidentally touch the cord they were out of my ears.  Red offered me her pair of Sony squishy head phones to try and they would work so-so until I would sweat and then I resumed the push-in-every-5-seconds routine.  I saw Skull Candy made a pair of workout headphones called "Fix", so named because they "fix" the problem every athlete has, wrong.  I could barely look for cars while having them in my head before having to Fix them, so much for that claim.  Finally a friend referred me to "some Ironman squishy looking headphones" her roommate uses.  I was on the prowl and discovered Ironman Yurbuds.  Best. Earbuds. Ever.  Side note, don't buy these at the Apple store because they are no joke $10 more than they are online or at BestBuy.  I checked the price on one of the test Ipads while trying to get through people and discovered the price difference so I walked out and bought my new favorite ear buds at BestBuy.  Yurbud time!



Once I left the store I immediately started testing these strange looking headphones out.  I did the fit test, yes they felt secure and happy, didn't feel loose, and didn't feel like I was going to get an earache after having them motionless for extended periods of time.  Next I did the most important test, the nudge test and the yank test.  Some headphones fall out as soon as you touch the cord with any amount of noticeable force and these didn't even budge.  I then yanked on the cord which is something that happens when running, your arm gets caught on the cord and normally your headphones come flying out. Nope!  Barely even registered that they were being pulled on.  Now with that being said, yes they will come out of your ears if you pull on them hard enough, they're not glued in.  Yurbuds designed their headphones in a way that you can't just pop them in and out, you have to "twist" them in.
Twist and lock = doesn't fall out


It's the best idea ever.  Not only do they have a locking mechanism type design but Yurbuds also has the claim/guarantee that if you're not happy with your fit then they can figure out what size you need buy measuring your ear against a quarter.  The package already comes with two different sizes of adapter deals, but if for some reason they don't work you simply take a picture of your ear with a quarter next to it and they go to work from there.  Mine fit my ear perfectly which is nice considering I was certain my ears were a weird shape since nothing wanted to stay in them!

Completely fills my ear, and doesn't hurt or budge!

The other great part about these headphones is the fact that they have a 3 button dry mic.  It's essentially the exact same deal of microphone/volume control that the Iphone headphones come with but this one is designed to put up with sweat and apparently cancel out wind.

The black Y part is the mic and button control.

 I've been wearing these around for the past couple days and used them for my "hands free" talking in my car instead of my Apple headphones and everyone said they could hear me just fine.  Well yesterday I was on the phone with my mom, using my headphones, and she had a long story she wanted to tell me.  Well I had a bike ride I wanted to get in. Hmm...Well Yurbuds saved the day.  I went ahead and hopped on my bike fully prepared for her to tell me that she would talk to me later because the wind was too bad or she couldn't hear me, or I couldn't hear her.  Something.  Nope.  Nothing.  I tucked the mic in the front of my jersey and sports bra just in case the wind would be too bad and she said she couldn't hear it at all.  I thought maybe that would muffle me some, nope she could still hear me clear as a bell.  Thanks to this awesome design she was able to finish her story and I was able to get my bike ride in.  Ten miles after I started my bike my mom decided the story was over and she had errands to run, I then decided to switch from silence to Pandora for the remaining 14.5 miles of my ride.  These ear buds are not for those that love a lot of bass in their music but the quality is definitely still wonderful.  I'm a music and headphone snob and these satisfied me just fine.  I never once had to push them in, I was able to check for traffic at stop signs without having to adjust, and I could control the volume of music to cross roads and turn it up after crossing without a hassle at all.  Oh and I could hang up my call without a problem.  I am in love. I STRONGLY recommend these headphones to anyone that is tired of their headphones constantly falling out. I can even do planks and hit my heavy bag without worrying about these budging.  Beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment