Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Post Flying Pig Marathon

Ok, well it is now Wednesday and my legs are finally feeling like my normal legs.  It didn't help my recovery that I worked all night Sunday night and did a 16 hour shift Monday.  I worked from 8p-730a on Sunday, and 3p-730a on Monday into Tuesday morning.  I then slept for the vast majority of Tuesday/Tuesday night, and now I feel MUCH better.

So during a marathon you are running, or at least on your feet, for 26.2 miles.  Those can either be a not bad 26.2 miles, or it can be a "my feet and body hate me I hope you die" 26.2 miles.  As you can tell from my race report my marathon was the latter of the two races.  So now that I'm clean, stretched, fed, and rested I figured I would share some of the carnage with you guys.  It is a normal process for runners to either get black toenails, or to lose toenails during training, racing, and what-have-you-ness.  For the better part of 2 years I didn't have the correct number of toenails, and I was ok with this.  Then, by some miracle, I had all 10 toenails from about February of 2011 until Sunday May 6th, 2012.  Yep.  Right after the marathon one of my toenails decided to jump ship.  Usually it's just getting a little blister and part of the nail comes off and it's not that big of a deal, and there's a little bit of a nail still hanging on leaving promise of a new nail to come back eventually.  Not this time.  Some how I managed to rub my second toe on my left foot so much that a blister formed under the nail and popped the entire thing off the nail bed.  It wasn't very comfortable, so after I got home I thought it wouldn't be too bad to just take it the rest of the way off.  I'm not super positive that was a smart decision.  My toe now looks decidedly naked and feels really weird.

No, that is not peach nail polish, that is my baby naked toe.

I also had a blister the size of a ping pong ball on the inside of my right foot, which I hadn't realized was making my compensate and run on the outside of my foot which cramped it all up for two days.  Now the blister is healing with one of those awesome "blister band aids".

The blister actually didn't completely fit under the band aid, but now that it's healed some it fits under the majority of the band aid.

My poor nail-less, blistered feet lol.  I was going to turn this into a relaxing swim week to try and work my legs some without killing them, but I don't know if I want to get into a pool before my toe had healed over some and my blisters have healed.  I think I'll schedule a massage or something for my feet and try to make it up to them. I use a foam roller on my legs and it makes them happy, so now I need to make my feel happy again.  

Happy running!


No comments:

Post a Comment