Tuesday, September 25, 2012

D'oh!

Ok, so I just realized that when I wrote my last post that I was a little off, I think....I know of someone else that is doing Ironman Florida and she says she only has 3 more "hard" weeks of training before taper, and I swear I just counted 4 "hard" weeks left and two weeks of taper...which brings me to the D'oh moment.  Last week I thought I only had 6 weeks left, but now I think I have 6 weeks left.  I officially have no idea how many weeks there lol.  I'm pretty sure now is 6 weeks out and I'm loving it!  I've had a few longer runs lately and I feel great the entire time. 

For those who actually read my blog, you will remember that I went into survival mode and had a cramp-tastic marathon in May for the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon.  Since then I have been working on figuring out what on eart went wrong, and making sure that it doesn't happen again!  I am fairly certain that I have it figured out, at least under control.  Lately I've been running 11+ miles and not having any issues.  During my route I have a water fountain that is glorious because it is 4 miles from my house, but not glorious because I can't keep moving when I need a drink, duh.  This is how I think I've found my problem, when I pause at the drinking fountain I can feel my hamstrings tightening up and getting angry.  I then wander around a little bit and don't try stretching too much, and everything is better.  I start running again, nice and easy, then work back up to pace, and so far no problems.  I can tell that I need more electrolytes during my runs because by the time I get home I love water yes, but I really want something else.  I've been drinking my GU Brew Recovery as soon as I'm done as well and so far it seems to be working great!  It tastes amazing and I haven't had sore/dead legs the next day. I forgot to drink it after a 10 mile run and went to the UC football game, I couldn't figure out why I was so tired, then it dawned on me that I didn't drink my recovery drink!  It could be a coincidence, but it was proof enough for me, so I now swear by it and try my hardest to not skip it after hard workouts. 

In other news, there isn't much to report.  A couple weeks ago I logged over 166 miles for the week, and didn't break down!!  Yeah!!  The next week though I picked up crazy random hours and only logged roughly 45 miles for the week.  Boo!!  It was my own fault for agreeing to randomly work days AND nights instead of just one or the other.  Thanks to that brilliance I had the most messed up sleep schedule on the planet, which also effected my time and ability to actually trian.  This week I am working 10 more hours than I did last week, BUT they are all roughly the same.  I go into work every evening at 7p and my only variable is what time I get off, some days I get off at 11p and others I don't get off until 7a the next morning.  This means that during the day I can actually get things accomplished, like cleaning, sleeping, and TRAINING!  So far I'm off to a good start.  It's only Tuesday and I've already ran 11.5 miles and swam 2700 yards.  I know I should be doing more this late in the training, but I'll take what I can get.  I'm hoping to get out on my bike tomorrow, or I may break down and get on the trainer for an hour or so, because it's supposed to rain all week.  We'll see what happens!


Happy training!

No comments:

Post a Comment