Monday, February 20, 2012

Nutrition and self encouragement

The weather today was beautiful!  Nice and sunny, very little wind, kind of chilly, but overall not bad at all.  I went through the first 8 miles without a hitch, no pain, not tired, nothing.  Then around mile 8.5 I hit my own training wall and suddenly became my own cheerleader.  In my head I was telling myself that I could do it, almost done, great job, keep moving, anything that was positive was going through my head.  As soon as I hit mile 9 I was VERY excited because that meant that I only had 1 more mile, and that mile became my strongest motivator!  By the time I was done with my run I was talking out loud and telling myself to keep moving for that last half mile because silly me, I decided that I would run my route in such a way that I would end UP hill.  In hind sight that wasn't one of my smarter moves, but at the same time it was a really good idea because I was forced to push myself forward and upward and was very very happy when I finished.  I was incredibly happy because for this 10 miles I ended up averaging a 9:30 mile overall.  It's amazing what a difference not breaking my body at my old job, and a nice pair of new shoes can make!  Two weeks ago my legs hated me and my feet were falling apart at my mile 6.  Today I was simply tired.  

Now onto my issue with nutrition.  I really need to work on it.  I had a good breakfast around 9:00am, then missed lunch because I was waiting to see if I would be called in to my other job at Bath and Body Works.  I was so excited that I didn't have to go to work that I completely forgot about lunch and got ready for my run. I intended to run 10 miles, and succeeded, but I neglected to think about the fact that I only ate about 350 calories for breakfast meaning to eat more before heading to work.  Weeellll...that didn't work.  I ended up burning roughly 700-800 calories during my run and only ate one gel at mile 5.5 which equates to about 70 calories consumed during my run.  That is a TERRIBLE idea. I didn't feel too bad during the run, but I have a feeling that is why I was getting so tired at the end and also why I feel like junk right now.  After my run I was about -300 calories for the day, or more.  Bad idea.  I had a "shaka" after my run, it's carnation instant breakfast mixed with soy milk for about 200 calories, then a shower and now I'm trying to get more calories because I still feel bleh.  I had an Oikos greek yogurt, and now I'm working on a bagel with Nutella.  I'm starting to feel a bit better but still kind of meh.  I have got to work on my nutrition.  Other than that today was a great success!  

On to tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment