Monday, February 27, 2012

This plan wasn't thoroughly thought through...

Ok, so I survived my first weekend on night shift!  Actually it really wasn't that bad.  I was fortunate enough to have someone that is incredibly nice and get along well with as my trainer.  She'll also be training me on nights for the next two weeks which makes everything go faster and not seem as rough as it could be.  The part about this whole working nights thing is that I didn't really think through my other job at Bath and Body Works.  I work their part time as well, which is great, but when I put in my availability I didn't think about needing to sleep more and get training in.  It's ok, I'm just going to have to take advantage of the fact that my gym is open 24/7 and put aside some ideas of working out with Red more.

Speaking of working out with Red, we did our 10 mile run downtown on Saturday and we both felt great!  I was a huge baby during the first maybe 3-4 miles because it was so bitterly cold!  When I ran around our neighborhood a month or so ago it was only 19 degree and I was 100x's warmer than I was running down town on Saturday.  The thing that made it so bad was the relentless bitterly cold wind by the river.  Once we got away from the river my body was able to get slightly above hypothermic and the sun came out which always helps!  We ran from Sawyer Point, into New Port, back across to Cincy by Paul Brown stadium, to the Duke energy center, migrated over to Eden Park, up near OCAS, over to Gilbert, back into town, and back to the car.  It was 10.1 miles and we both felt great when we were finishing!  We took my Osprey camelbak deal for water and it was a great idea.  The backpack fit both of us really well and kept us from having to worry about finding a working water fountain or something during our run.  It didn't bounce around and drive us crazy and fit Red's 6' tall frame and my 5' tall frame just fine.  I think the next time we do that run I'm going to try and eat more gels because we only had one, which was fine, but I'm just trying to get myself used to eating more during my training because come Ironman time I'll be eating something maybe 3 times an hour and this time I only ate once.

Once we got back from our run I showered, put my compression sleeves on, ate a great lunch, and passed out.  I worked Saturday and Sunday night so I didn't train on Sunday.  I slept as soon as I got home and then had to start getting ready and what not to work that night.  Today I had intended to go for a bike ride with Red and a couple of his friends from work because it's BEAUTIFUL outside!  It's about 50+ out and super sunny.  In order to make up for my lack of biking this afternoon, and doing nothing on Sunday, I'm hoping to go for a swim after work tonight.  I get off at 8 from job number two which means I'm hoping to be at the gym and in the pool by 9.  I think I'm only planning a 1650 but we'll see how much my body requests sleep as opposed to exercise.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment