Saturday, November 19, 2011

Just keep spinning spinning spinning...

Ok, Fridays are officially my favorite spin days.  The music is awesome and keeps us pumped up and the instructor keeps us motivated and works hard herself.  She took us through a series yesterday that she called the "Upchuck" Series.  I do believe that her naming was completely and totally accurate, no I did not get sick but that's not without thinking about it strongly.  We had long sitting hills at a fast pace, then a standing 15 minute continuous hill and then an awesome series of jumps.  I say awesome with the largest amount of sarcasm that the word will allow.  She had a fast 4 count, slow 4 count, and a long 4 count.  The only one that allowed you to count to 4 without having to count by more than 2s was the long 4 count.  The fast "4 count" barely got you out of the saddle before you were supposed to attempt to sit again all the while spinning as hard as you could.  I was definitely tired by the time we were finished but I felt good too.  I'm starting to get used to what all I can and should do in spin class which makes life easier and I can get more out of it.  With Thanksgiving coming up my only option will be Monday morning spin class so we'll see how that works out and what that instructor is like.  If there are a ton of empty bikes a minute before the class I may be doing my own workout on different machines or something.

On a different note, I was talking to some of my friends that are also doing the Tough Mudder in April and I am stoked!  I can not wait until April to see what this race will throw at us!  The videos show ridiculous hills, ice cold water, monkey bars from hell, flaming piles of straw, and my personal favorite, the five yards of 10,000V wires dangling everywhere that you have to run through to get to the finish.  I'm not really excited about that part, more scared out of my mind.  I figure I'll just run like hell and hope to not get shocked like crazy.  The only part that I'm actually concerned about really is the water tube deals.  They have tubes that a large man can fit through but they are half submerged in water so you have to crawl through with water up to your chin in a small tight tube with people in front of and behind you.  I'm kind of claustrophobic despite my small size and have an ironic fear of drowning considering I love water and being a strong swimmer.  Ironic, I know.  But besides all of that nonsense I am seriously curious as to how hard this really will be.  Those are just two of the obstacles out of the 14 that we get to conquer.  I did the Warrior Dash this past summer and really didn't think it was that bad.  It was supposedly 3 miles but it felt like 1 or maybe 2 because of all the obstacles and it definitely was fun which helped.  I'm curious as to how bad this race will be considering it was designed by the british special forces....interesting.  Before I get too sidetracked though I need to remember that I am running a half marathon in California in February.  You know, on this side of the New Year February sounds really far away but I'm certain that will change here quickly, maybe even by December when someone goes "Hey, you only have 2 months until California" and I'll go "Oh yeah...crap." lol  Looks like cold winter runs coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment