Sunday, December 1, 2013

I don't like to be cold

So Red and I have a constant debate about how warm or cold to keep the house.  I'm am perpetually cold and couldn't be happier to be nice and toasty warm all day, every day.  Red is the complete and total opposite and would be just as happy to be cold and doesn't care if there is a chill in the room.  If I had things my way the house would be 75 degrees year round.  We "agreed" to try to decrease the energy bill by having it only at 70 for this winter, it's not working on saving energy and I'm still constantly frozen.  I am always in sweats, shorts, hoodie, t-shirt, AND socks just trying to stay warm.  Nine times out of ten I'm still covered in a blanket because I can't get warm.  When I'm cozy and warm, Red is sweating and uncomfortable.  



I partially blame this on running.  I went for a run earlier today, and it was fairly nice out, about 45 degrees when Ali and I started out.  When we were on our way home the wind had picked up and the temperature dropped significantly.  My thumbs always get cold for some reason, no matter how much I tuck them into my hands or wear gloves, but here lately they are reaching a new level of cold.  I couldn't feel my right thumb because it was so stinking cold.  I took an incredibly hot shower once I got home and finally started to get some feeling in my hands.  We only went 14 miles and were outside for about 2:15, so my hands shouldn't have been that bad.  I now stand corrected.  Poor Ali has to deal with my whining while we're outside, then Red has to deal with me once I come inside.  Last week it was 25 degrees when we took off for our 10 mile run.  About 8 miles in I still had not warmed up and was decidedly over the cold and wind and Ali ended up driving my wimpy butt home.  She fortunately lives 2 miles from me and we passed her apartment on our way to my house to finish the run, so when she offered to drive me home I was not going to turn her down.  I was wearing plenty of layers, but I forgot a hat and I wore my thinner tights instead of my thickest.  Oops.  But that didn't matter too much because I couldn't feel most of my body but when I went to get in the shower to warm up, I realized that my legs were so cold that they had turned red.  My nose was red for 2 days, my friend Miller was making fun of me because my nose was still so red.  Hmph.  



I better get used to the cold and learn to dress in different layers if I think that this 50K in February is going to happen.  I'm hoping that the really cold days are few and far between.  I should be able to tolerate 30's, but the 20's will most likely not be a thing.  Here's to a lot of hot showers and getting my layers right!





No comments:

Post a Comment