Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Understanding Taper

Ok, so part of the Ironman thing is becoming obsessed with the process, race, and everything that surrounds Ironman.  Part of that obsession is reading other triathletes blogs and trying to figure out how they train, the best nutrition, ways to prevent injury, and deal with life working full time, training full time, and not let the house go completely to crap.  Well in reading these blogs I kept coming to people saying how you go crazy during taper and start worrying about every ache and pain and if you ever did enough training.  I didn't get that point and didn't understand how you wouldn't welcome not having to train for 15-20 hours a week and actually get a break.  I get it now.  I was looking at my training plan and I realize that I'm still technically 3 weeks out, 2.5 but whatever, and my taper is supposed to start next Monday.  Well with my work week going on like crazy and some potential for awesome changes coming about, I think my taper is going to start a week early.  With that being said, I am nearly positive that unless I start running in the very limited time that I will have, or doing circuit training in my basement with my kettle bells, I am going to go crazy.  My body has adapted to the high mileage just fine and feels like if I'm not pushing myself every day, or at least nearly every day, that something is wrong.  I had to remind myself that I just swam 3000 meters last Friday before going to work, swam 1600 meters Thursday, and ran 15 miles Wednesday, I forget what I did Tuesday and Monday, but I do know that I did something every day last week.  I was just on the trainer this past Sunday and I don't feel like I've done anything.  Now with taper coming up and me not feeling like my legs are on fire or something I understand how other triathletes say they start to go crazy from the lack of intensity.

I'm just going to try to embrace the taper and remember that the crazy miles I put in all year long are going to carry me through in 2.5 weeks and that I'm not going to lose all of my endurance in just a little bit.  I am going to be fine.  My goal is to embrace the taper and enjoy this time of not trying to fit in a 2.5 hour run, or a 5 hour bike ride, or find something else to fill my time.  It's time to embrace, understand, and love the taper.  Or maybe I'll find something to do on Monday or Tuesday since I'm off lol.  Maybe I'll embrace the taper on and off depending on my work schedule.

Happy training!

No comments:

Post a Comment